Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Rice Casserole

So, I've seen this recipe on numerous blog of late so I thought I"d give it a try! Check out this great blog for other recipes - this is where I dug this up -Thanks Erica!http://ericaskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

I made it for myself so I am the only judge. But, I enjoyed it. Easy to do, good for a weeknight. I am also thinking it will come in handy when there is leftover ham around.

Ingredients:
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 lb. diced ham
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
4 TBSP butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
14 oz. chicken broth
3 cups cooked rice of choice (I used white long grain)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese

To shred the chicken, I seasoned with salt & pepper. Put on a microwave safe dish, covered loosely with plastic wrap. Microwaved for approx. 7 minutes. After it cooled, it shredded very easily. I used about 3 breasts.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil into a large 5 qt. rimmed skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, ham and chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Melt butter then stir in flour, salt & pepper until combined. Slowly stir in chicken broth until well combined. Stir in cooked rice. Transfer into a 9X13 baking dish. Tope with cheddar and mozzarella or swiss. Back for 20-25 minutes. Beware towards the end if cheese starts to ooze to cover with foil.

I served with greenbeans.

6-8 servings.

No comments: