Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stromboli

This is one of my favorite thing~ I've used this recipe for tailgates and gatherings. It always gets good reviews. Plus, I always feel proud I made my own bread. So many ways to play with the recipes with the add-ins.

Dough
3 Cups Flour
1 package dry yeast
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Heat milk, water and oil until warm. Mix 1 1/4 cup flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt and egg. Add to warm mixture. Stir. Add remaining flour. Turn onto floured surface and knead for minutes a couple minutes. Put in a warm greased bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 hour.

After an hour roll into a rectangular shape.

Filling
1/4 lb. baked chipped ham
1/4 lb. hot pepper cheese (if you don't like hot, use mozzarella)
1/4 lb. hard salami
1/2 cup chopped green peppers and onions
1/4 lb. pepperoni
1/4 lb. provolone cheese

Layer down the middle of the dough. Sometimes I cut the meat and cheese in strips, other times I've just layered them - both seem to work well. Pull sides together so there is no opening. Flip onto a cookie sheet. Cut a couple slits in the top of the stromboli.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Cut in pieces. Serve with marinara.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm definitely trying this! I make a pepperoni roll, but I've never made my own bread for it. Thanks!